Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A little bit of Holloween fun...

is what I was up to yesterday. This year the children are not allowed to wear costumes to school so I decided to do something fun with the girls' outfits instead. Lucky for me, I able to have a little shopping spree in Scottsdale to get the fabric that I needed. And after a little battle with the sewing machines, I am pleased with the final product and cannot wait until Friday for the girls to wear them.

Addy was designer of her skirt -- lots of pattern and lots of color! Just the way she likes it.Bo's was a pillowcase dress. I can just say EASY! Love the purple ribbons -- perfect for this purple loving monkey.

Me verses Machine : The saga of sewing Halloween attire.

  • Picking up the fabric -- fun, fast and on sale -- Victor = ME

  • Coming up with cute designs -- Victor = Me

  • Cutting out the pattern -- Victor = Me (I never use patterns. The shear frustration of unfolding, laying out, cutting, pinning, then the accidental riping of the pattern is enough to make me not even want to sew. Instead, I save this frustrating step and go directly to cutting. The last time I used a pattern was when I was making a teddy bear for Bo's 1st Christmas. 1/2 way through it I couldn't handle it anymore and made the rest up myself).

  • Using the serger by myself for the first time -- Victor = the MACHINE. Even though I love the serger, if you make a little mistake it becomes a huge mistake thanks to the instantaneous cutting.

  • Using my old Viking sewing machine -- Victor = the Machine. I guess that after 7 years of use I should get it serviced for the 1st time. The feed dogs stopped working (absolute bummer).

  • The completed project -- Victor = Me (by a hair). I just love to sew everything straight, but throw a curve in their for me and I lose my cool. Also, the house is a complete disaster because once I start, everything else gets put aside until the project is done.

This was fun -- I cannot wait to get started (or shall I say complete a year-old project) the 9 foot teepees for the kids' Thanksgiving party.

4 comments:

The Amayesings said...

How cute! A very stylish and clever way to bend the rules (only a little)! Way to be the victor! If the machine gives me problems, I usually give up--especially now that you're not down the road for me to run to!

NatalieHemingway said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these skirts!! We need you back home to teach us these fun things. Super Saturday will not be the same without you!!

Jen B. said...

Nat, I would LOVE to be there -- hey, maybe next year. I was chatting with Amy (my old next door neighbor) and we were thinking that an October trip would be a blast!

Annelise H. Jensen said...

You never cease to amaze me! I don't know how you do it all. I need you to be my mentor.