Monday, November 17, 2008

Where is Russ when I need him?

In Idaho of course!

So, I have a new goal -- to make healthy food from scratch just like Dana Ellsworth. Well, yesterday I tried my hand in several recipes from Martha Stewart. Boy-o-boy was I in trouble. Not only did I not understand some of the instructions but I did not have a ricer (BTW -- now that I looked them up and know what they are, I just HAVE to get one). But, with some improvising I was doing quite good.

If you can believe it, I was trying to make gnoccie from scratch -- yep, I am a gluten for punishment. But I thought to myself, "Hey, there are are less than 10 ingredients and it looks a lot like making rolls so I should be just fine." Oh man -- it was a little more difficult than rolls. I did everything just as Martha directed (with modifications since I did not have a ricer -- thank goodness for rotary cheese graters) but left out one major ingredient -- the FLOUR! In the ingredient list it mentioned 2 cups of flour but in the instructions all it said was to lightly dust the potato mixture with flour. Well, long story short -- water + potatoes = HUGE mess and pot of water boiling over.

It is times like this that I miss calling Russ up in the middle of dinner for him to help me step-by-step to create yummy dishes.

BTW -- Russ and Tia -- what is your yummy mashed potato recipe?

No comments: