- first and foremost -- ask any dad/mom or older brother/sister or uncle/aunt or close friend or some man from the stands that has actually played ball on a school/city team to please, pretty please take my position.
- get the parents involved -- ask them to play catch with their boys everyday for 15 minutes . Then give prizes for those that practiced at home.
- since most of my kids have never played baseball (8 out of the 12 players) I think that I need to break the team into smaller groups to teach them some fundamentals. Some group ideas are hitting, grounders, infield and runners with rotation every 15-20 minutes so they focus only on one area at a time.
- to be quite honest, winning is NOT my objective (and may not be a possibility) but I want these boys to be proud and have fun. So, I came up with a point system to earn ice cream trips. After they reach 500 points, win or lose, they earn a team ice cream trip to yummy Dairy Boy.
- I am also checking out the local batting cases to see if we can get a discount for the team members that want to have individual instruction with a pro (since I am NO pro).
I hope, if there is anyone out, that you all can provide me some pointers. Let's just hope that we have a BLAST and maybe learn a little ball.