Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's great to be 35...

or NOT! Yesterday I turned 35. Kinda crazy. I still think that I belong in high school but when I look at pictures of myself and see all those wrinkles and all the extra blubber I realize I am nearing middle age. It was a nice day if you count being in the car for almost 10 hours looking for a rental house to our liking but coming up with NOTHING. But the kids were awesome. Best part about my birthday was that Sunday night my mom planned on a family dinner with all my favorites including her FAMOUS homemade mac-n-cheese. YUM, YUM! In the morning I was serenaded by my kids as they sang their own renditions of birthday songs for me. All day long I received phone calls, voice mail messages with "Happy B-day" songs and wishes, text messages, hugs and emails from AZ and MI family and friends -- it is so great that so many people remembered.

Tonight when I tucked Kadan into bed he said, "Mom, I am so sad that your birthday was kind-a lame. I mean, you did not have any big party or friends come over. All you did was drive around and it was boring. But, I hope you are happy to be 35 years-old and all that matters is that you were with your family."

You know what? He is totally right. The most important thing is family and I have the BEST family EVER!!!!!

6 comments:

NatalieHemingway said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Getting older stinks, but you do it well.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mechan said...

happy belated b-day jen

Michelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday to my birthday buddy!

Kristal said...

Jen, Kadan is soo sweet. What perspective!
And I just read your "leaving Michigan" post...it made me miss Texas. I didn't really like it there, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the friends I made there. It was hard to leave.

The Kalcichs said...

Happy Late Birthday, Jen! You look like you could still be in High School. I love your perspective on life and all the lessons you share from your kids. Hope this is a great year for you.